© 2017 Bulmer & District History Group

Bulmer & District




        Bulmer & District History Group



1914 -1918

Albert  Willis was a farm worker and lived with his father and brother Alfred at Butlers Hall Farm, Bulmer.  

He served with the York and Lancaster Regt. In France.

Albert died from his wounds on June 27th 1915.

Both brothers are also on the Roll of Honour in the church at Wickham St Pauls.


1914 -19

Alfred Willis was a farm worker and lived with his father and brother Albert at Butlers Hall Farm, Bulmer.

He served as a Private (59408) in the 6th battalion of the Northamptonshire Regt.

He was killed in action on 29th October 1918

Buried in war grave FR212

Named with his brother on the Roll of Honour in the church at Wickham St Pauls.


1939 -1945

Anthony Edington Hyde-Parker was born in 1916, and lived in Smeetham Hall, Bulmer.

After college, he became a master at St Faith’s Cambridge.

Anthony joined the RAF with a short service commission, and when war broke out in 1939 he was with the 150 Squadron.  

On a leaflet-dropping mission, his and eleven other aircraft were shot down, but he landed by parachute on French soil sustaining only a broken ankle and injured shoulder.  When he recovered, he later joined the Reconnaissance Squadron.  It was while with this squadron that he was shot down over the French coast whilst engaged in the reconnaissance of the German assembling of barges ready for the invasion of Britain.  At the time the weather was dreadful with visability down to nil.  Five pilots were lost on that mission.  


1914 -18

Philip Antony Aschton Harbord was the son of Philip and Elinor Harbord and brother of John.  In 1913, was living in Bulmer Tye House, Bulmer.

He was commissioned as a 2nd Lieut. In the 1st Norfolk Yeomanry, on the 3rd November 1914.  Based in the Huntingdon area, he was promoted to temporary Lieut, on the 16th August 1915.  In March 1916, he was moved to Wivenhoe, and then transferred to the Grenadier Guards Special Reserve based in Chelsea Barracks.  In June 1917 he joined the 2nd Battalion, and in December 1st of that year, he died of wounds whilst most gallantly rushing a machine gun during the attack on Gonnelieu and Gauche Wood.

He was awarded the Military Cross.

He was 20 years old and lies buried in plot 2, Row D, grave 2 in Finis New British Cemetery, Sorel-le-Grand in France.  Finis is situated between Cambrai and Peronne.

The attack on Gonnelieu and Gauche Wood is fully documented in Lieut-Col. Sir Frederick Ponsonby’s The Grenadier Guards in the Great War if 1914 -1918


1914 -1918

Benjamin Barker lived in Stone Cottage, Old Church Lane Bulmer in 1913.

He worked as a gardener for Mr & Mrs Philip Harbord at Bulmer Tye House.

Benjamin served with the Suffolk Regt.



Born in Bulmer, his full name was George Bertram Deal, and according to the electoral role of 1913 lived in Gestingthorpe Road, Bulmer.

He was a farm worker until he went to live in Upper Holloway where he enlisted for the Army.

Bertie was a Private in the essex Regt. But later transferred to the Royal Warwickshire Regt., and became Private 26095 in the 6th Battalion.

He was killed in action in France on August 27th 1917.


1914 -1918

Charles Barrell lived at Lower Houses, Bulmer in 1913.  Before joining the army, he worked on the land at Smeetham Hall.

Charles was one of thirteen children.  His brother Archie , lived in Bulmer Tye, another brother John lived in Twinstead, and his sister Grace lived in Wickham St. Pauls.  Other sisters and brothers were Rose, Emily, Ethel, Caroline, Alice, Daisy, and Herbert.

Charles married Flo Middleditch from Sudbury and the had two children, both daughters, one dying in infancy.  

Charles was 13624 Guardsman and served with the 1st Grenadier Guards and was wounded whilst serving in France.  Although he took part in the Peace Parade in Sudbury, he was ill and died in London on March 1st 1919, aged 32 years.

The following is an extract from the book “No Glorious Dead” by  Shirley Smith & Val Herbert , available from Sudbury Tourist Office.

13624  Grenadier Guards

Charles Barrell was born in Bulmer around 1887, he was the son of George and Caroline Barrell.  His father was a farm labourer and stockman and the family lived at Lower Houses, Bulmer.  Before the war Charles was employed by Mr. L. Hyde Parker of Smeetham Hall, Bulmer as a farm labourer and was a member of the Territorial Army.


Charles was married to Florence and they had a son Charlie.  The family lived at Church Street, Sudbury but later his widow moved to 4 Mill Lane.  At the outbreak of war Charles was called up.  He was badly wounded in 1915, he recovered and returned to the front.  He was described in the Suffolk and Essex Free Press on 12th March 1919 as being 6’ 1½’’ in height.  Charles returned to England at the end of 1918 but caught a cold on the boat home.  He attended a parade for King George V but became ill later with influenza and pneumonia and was taken to the Queen Alexandra Hospital in West London where he died on 1st March 1919.  He was aged 32.

Charles is buried in St. Andrews churchyard in Bulmer.


1914 -1918

Earnest Weavers lived at Lower Houses, Bulmer.

He served with the Sherwood Foresters in France.



Earnest Clary lived at Finch Hill, Bulmer in 1913.

He served with the Middlesex Regt. And later with the 12th East Surreys.

He died in France.


1914 -1918

Frederick Charles Raymond was born in 1892 and was the first child and eldest son of Harry and Christianna Raymond (nee French) of Finch Hill, Bulmer.  Harold James was the third of a total of eight children born to family, although two younger sisters and a younger brother had died within ten days of each other in March 1906.  At the age of 19 the 1911 census describes his occupation as a farm labourer.

Frederick’s war records are among the sixty percent that were lost or destroyed in the intervening years, and his medal certificates provide very little further information noting only his regiment and number and the date of his death.

In March 1916 the Military Service Act was passed, introducing conscription for single men aged between 18 and 41. There was a system of Military Service Tribunals to adjudicate upon claims for exemption upon the grounds of performing civilian work of national importance, domestic hardship, health, and conscientious objection.  The local press reported in March 1916 the proceedings of the Belchamp District Tribunal in which R.T.B.Payne of Borley had asked for deferment of service for six workers, including Frederick.  Short deferments were agreed for four of the workers but refused for two, including Frederick.  We have to assume that following the refusal of deferment Frederick Charles entered the army shortly after March 1916.   With Frederick’s entry into the army all three of Harry Frank and Christianna’s surviving sons were serving as his two younger brothers Frank Edward and Harold James had both signed up in 1915.  

Frederick served first as a Private in the 1/8 Duke of Cambridge’s Own (Middlesex) regiment and was later transferred to the 17 Middlesex Regiment with the number G/43978.  Frederick was killed in action (missing presumed dead) on the 24th April 1917 at the age of twenty six. The register of Soldier’s effects shows that he left seven pounds, ten shillings and ten pence to his father, Harry Frank.  Like so many others Frederick Charles has no known grave and is commemorated on the Arras Memorial at Faubourg-D´Amiens Cemetery, Arras with his younger brother Harold James who was killed eleven months later aged twenty one.  Frank Edward survived the war and appears on the Roll of Honour at Bulmer Church, he died in 1965.  

     Caroline Cunningham (nee Raymond)

 Deborah Williams (nee Raymond)


1939 -1945

Geoffrey was born in London on 1st December 1920 and was the second son of Charles Worthington and  Joan Constance Hawksley.  He had an elder brother mark seaton and tow younger brothers Adrian Charles Theodore, and Robert Francis and a sister Janet Mary.

Geoffrey was nine years old when he came to live at Cherwell in Bulmer Street.  He went with his brother Mark to preparatory school in Norfolk, and for his secondary schooling he was a boarder at King Edward VI school in Bury St Edmunds.

In 1937 he left school and joined the Merchant Navy as a clerk to the Purser on the s.S Highland Princess.

In 1939 he volunteered for the RAF, as aircrew, and was trained as an observer.  On Sep 3rd 1939 he was with the wellington Bomber Squadron at RAF Stradishall.

By all accounts Geoffrey was a lively and popular person, who liked to play the piano, and was a good amateur artist.

In 1940, he was posted to the Middle East, and in the October his squadron was sent to Greece to assist the Greeks against the possibility of an Italian invasion from Albania.

On November 18th at 0400 hrs, his aircraft crashed into a hill-side near the town of Podgorica, but after the war the coffins were moved to a Belgrade War Grave.


1914 -1918

Harold James Raymond was born in 1896 and was the third son of Harry and Christianna Raymond (nee French) of Finch Hill, Bulmer.  Harold James was the third of a total of eight children born to family, although two younger sisters and a younger brother had died within ten days of each other in March 1906.  At the age of fourteen his occupation is recorded in the 1911 census as a ‘worker on a farm’. As was common at the time his family used his second name “James” rather than his first name “Harold”, and he signed up and appears in the war records as James, but on the Bulmer war memorial as Harold.  Perhaps the formal rather than the family name was felt more appropriate for the war memorial.

He joined up aged nineteen in 1915 before the introduction of conscription and arrived in France on the 25th July 1915.  His older brother Frank Edward also joined up in 1915, followed by his eldest brother Frederick Charles in 1916. Harold James was a Lance Corporal in the 2nd Battalion of the Suffolk Regiment (number 14807).

He was killed in action aged twenty one on the 21 March 1918, the first day of the 1918 Battle of the Somme which continued until the 3rd September.  His war record is amongst the sixty per cent that were lost or destroyed in the intervening years. However, his Soldier’s will does survive in which he says “in the event of my death I give the whole of my effects and property to my mother”.  The record of Soldier’s effects shows that he left a total of ten pounds, eleven shillings and nine pence, and that his mother received a war gratuity of thirteen pounds and ten shillings.

With the death of Harold James eleven months after that of his older brother Frederick who was killed in April 1917 his parents had lost a total of five of their eight children.  The remaining children were Frank Edward who also served and survived, Edith Mabel and Margaret Emma.  Margaret Emma married another Raymond, Percy and named their son Harold Raymond in memory of a much loved big brother.

Like so many others in the Great War Harold James Raymond has no known grave and is commemorated on the Arras Memorial at Faubourg-D´Amiens Cemetery, Arras.

Caroline Cunningham (nee Raymond)

 Deborah Williams (nee Raymond)


1914 -1918

Harold Sargent served with the 8th Suffolk Regt. In France.  He was probably the son of William Sargent of Finch Hill, Bulmer


1914 -1918

Harry Sargent lived in Finch Hill, Bulmer in 1913.

His mother Ada came from Acton, and his father was a baker in Bulmer.

Harry had a sister Blanche, and a brother bertie.

Harry served with the Royal Engineers in France.


1939 -1945

Harry St George Burke was the son of Redmond St George Burke and Aileen Marion Burke of The Auberies, Bulmer, and the husband of Evelyn Marjory Burke. B.A.

Harry was a Wing Commander in the RAF, and flew with Squadron 151.

This squadrons role was night fighting, and in April 1942, changed from flying Defiants to flying Mosquitos, and became fully operational with them in June 1942.  In July, the squadron began standing patrols over the North Sea to intercept German raiders on their way over to bomb Britain.  The squadron scored steadily over the following three months.  Harry St George Burke died on the 15th October  at the age of 33 years.

The badge of 151 squadron shows an owl affrontee wings elevated alighting on a seax.  The owl represents the Squadrons role of night fighting, whilst the seax comes from the arms of Essex, in which county, the Squadron was formed.

Harry is buried in St Andrews churchyard, Bulmer.


1935 -1945

Herbert was born in Great Henny in 1923.

He went to school in Henny before transferring to Bulmer school.

After leaving school he went to work on Jenkins Farm.

Herbert joined the army at the outbreak of war in 1939.  He was reported missing, presumed dead, after a raid on Norway.

© 2017 Bulmer & District History Group