Bulmer & District

History


Group                                                                                                   

                Bul


        Bulmer & District History Group

John Parmenter English

1846 - 1900


John Parmenter English was born in April 1846 in Bulmer; second son of Sarah, originally from Gestingthorpe, and George English, a brick maker.

John became a brick maker like his father, and they lived and farmed at Hole Farm on the Hedingham Road. Their work is listed in the Post Office Directory of Essex 1874.

The 1808 maps shows the presence of lime kilns in Kiln Field, which today is also the site of the Bulmer Brick and Tile Company, located to the west of Bulmer Tye at Hole Farm. A medieval or Tudor kiln has also been identified at the same site, suggesting that there have been brickworks on the site for many hundreds of years utilising the local London clays.’ (University of Cambridge ACA)













But his daughter, Rose, died in 1883 before her second birthday. She is buried in Bulmer. By the 1891 census, John had had two more daughters.

John died November 1900 leaving £1338 12s 1d. His headstone reads:













John’s wife continued to live at Blackhouse Farm on private means with her older daughter and a servant. By 1911 she had moved to Borley to live with her brother and sister. She lived to be 94, and died in 1939.


source: Matthews family tree, picture from David Burr

Gillian Lamb 2016


In 1879 John married Emma Amelia from Glemsford. They lived in Blackhouse Farm, Bulmer employing 5 men and 2 boys to work on their 100 acres.

By 1881 John’s first daughter, Rose, had been born. Living with them at the time was his sister-in-law, Matilda Bigg, a spinster needlewoman.

 


In loving memory of

John Parmenter English

who fell asleep

November 8th 1900

in his 55th year